I'm surprised its taken me this long to mention Pension Day and Taverns.
On the third Thursday of every month; women, children, and magogos (way older women) head to a local soccer field in a nearbye village to receive their government "welfare" and/or "social security" checks. Men are present as well, but not in as large of numbers as the women and children. They'll pick up their checks, then buy goods (in bulk and on discount) sold out the back of trucks, or off colorful looking blankets on the ground. Stuff like chickens, fruit, vegetables, clothes
If the lack of students in the classroom or the bum-rush of women, children, and magogos doesn't alert you to Pension Day; then the activities at the Tavern will definitely give it away. By the time I'm walking home from school in the afternoon, I can hear the Tavern music. "Tavern Music" consist of several Akon and Lucky Duby songs (on repeat), or 2-3 house songs (on repeat).
I live on "the main dirt road" that runs through my village, and my house sits about 1/4 miles from the Tavern. A large woman named Alphavia (I'm not kidding) owns the joint. During the day, she sells chips (french fries) with a homemade chili sauce. Me and my host sister will make our way down there often. My sister, swears, Alphavia likes me more b/c she always gives me more chips. Ha!
So, on Pension Thursday, and every single Friday and Saturday night, the Tavern will begin its night of repetitive music and drunken debauchery!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment