Sunday, June 22, 2008

Mission Accomplished (....sort of)

Well, I have officially completed the unique/some-what complicated task of selling off all my furniture. Craigslist is amazing, but there sure are some sketch people cruising that site. With three weeks left, a HUGE weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I am now in the process of putting the rest of my life in boxes and beginning the arduous task of packing. Also, I'm still trying to find a home for Carina (my doggy) which is a challenge all on it's own.

I received information regarding my orientation (Staging) a few day ago. I will fly into Washington D.C. July 12th for three days of orientation. This process includes getting a basic idea of travel and safety precautions, meeting the other volunteers, getting various vaccinations, and a brief over view of what we can expect during our three months of Pre-Service Training (PST). As a group, we'll fly out the evening of Monday July 15th and arrive in Johannesburg Tuesday July 16th. It's about a 17 hour flight, which I believe is the longest (if not one of the longest) flights in the world.

I'm getting more and more excited as the time draws near, but feelings of sadness come and go as well. I'm also trying to enjoy myself as much as possible. This includes going to movies and concerts, eating "American" junk food that I haven't had in years, playing with my dog, watching music videos, downloading iTunes, etc. Without a 9-5 in the way, these next few weeks will be spent enjoying the little things that I found myself missing when I traveled abroad in the past.

Paz....

1 comment:

Bijo said...

I hope u enjoy South Africa, I live in South Africa, so...