As each day goes by, I realize their is something else I need to take care of before leaving in TWO WEEKS. Whether it's packing up my kitchen, buying a second pair of eye glasses for the trip (Peace Corps requires all volunteers who wear contacts/glasses to bring two pair of glasses), purchasing minor things like thick socks or a pair of binoculars, choosing which pair of shoes to take or leave, painstakingly picking which UNC t shirts stay or go, and making time to squeeze in one more hair appointment :)
I've also enjoyed spending time with my friends and family. I participated in an Obama House Party event this past weekend and watched the Euro Cup final with some friends. I found out South Africa is hosting the 2010 World Cup, how kick-butt would it be to catch a game (or at least be in the vicinity of an arena)?!?! I'm also realizing how interesting it's going to be living overseas and watching the presidential election play out back here in the States, especially since I was so involved locally. I'm personally looking forward to experiencing first hand the reactions of the world towards Senator Obama and his run for the White House. He has to be an inspirational figure to so many outside of the States.
With all my free time, I've been able to read Nelson Mandela's autobiography "Long Walk to Freedom". It's a lengthy read (625 pages), but he's an amazing writer and his story is unbelievably compelling. It's hard to believe he turns 90 this year, the man is a marvel of his time. I like to set high standards for myself, so one goal of mine while in South Africa is to try to hear Mr. Mandela speak in person.
A girl can dream, can't she....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment